Recently I did some VM migrations to new datastores and I ran into a problem. Two VMs were showing that they were still using the old datastore although Used Space column showed that 0 B used. This happens sometimes when VM has CDROM or floppy disks are configured to use some image. But this time it was not the case.
After some digging around I found that it was VM log file (vmware.log) that had not moved during Storage vMotion.
To fix the issue I did following:
- Shutdown VM
- Downloaded the VMX file
- Edited the VMX file parameter “vmx.log.filename”. Replaced the existing wrong full path with “./vmware.log”
- Uploaded the VMX back to VM folder
- Started the VM
- Executed another Storage vMotion operation
After the Storage vMotion the old datastore was now released and I was able to decommission it.